Unit 6 Common collocations
- hearth surgery / beat / condition / problems /
- keep sane / fit / warm / awake
- reduce crime / cost / anxiety / stress
- establish a new research center / hundreds of laughter clubs / contact with aliens
- peace talks / conference / process / of mind
- be silly / yourself / a man / rude / active
A) She believes exercising and __________________ helps you live longer.
B) He thinks that cutting grass and helping your wife with the housework help you to have “__________ ”
C) People say that laughing everyday makes you live 7 years longer because it ________ .
D) Since then he has travelled around the world and established _______________ .
E) He is a speacialist in hearth ________ .
UNIT 8 VOCABULARY
Invest: to buy shares, property, or goods because you hope that the value will increase and you can make a profit:
- I’ve got a few thousand dollars I’m looking to invest
- Oliver made a fortune by investing in antique furniture.
- Williams invested a large sum of money in Swiss stocks.
- He has invested heavily (=invested a lot of money) in the bond market.
be worth something: to have a value in money:
- The house must be worth quite a lot of money now.
- One of the pictures is worth £50,000.
- Do you know how much the ring is worth?
- This art collection is worth a fortune (=worth a very large amount of money)
give in: to stop competing or arguing and accept that you cannot win
- Eventually I gave in and accepted the job on their terms.
- The champion refused to give in and went on to win the set.
- The government has said all along that it will never give in to terrorist attacks.